Research Innovation and Leadership Institute (RILI)
For the HIM profession to remain relevant and influential we must have a dynamic and expanding knowledge base and defined set of desired skills and expertise.
To remain relevant we need to expand our knowledge base and stakeout our content area of expertise through mission and discipline critical research. This research must meet standards of scientific rigor and set the foundation for knowledge creation, innovative concept development, and thought leadership.
To increase influence we need to disseminate knowledge through scholarly processes and publications that inform best practices and influence policy makers. Scholarship must demonstrate our unique expertise and content knowledge base within the healthcare industry. Furthermore, knowledge transfer or dissemination will increase AHIMA brand recognition and enhance brand prestige and prominence.
To sustain a systematic research initiative AHIMA has established a centralized, high performing Research Innovation and Leadership Institute (RILI) as an enduring mission critical component of the AHIMA Foundation.
This Institute will:
1. Generate knowledge through research
2. Work toward public and private collaboration
3. Disseminate knowledge through educational partnerships
1. Establish an enduring HIM research center of excellence that will be a trans-disciplinary research enterprise.
2. Promote AHIMA’s professional values, ideology, and ethical principles by influencing healthcare standards and practices.
3. Enhance AHIMA’s brand recognition, influence, prestige and prominence within the healthcare industry, general public and government.
1. Enhance public recognition of the AHIMA brand, differentiate AHIMA from competitors in the HIM space, increase credibility in the research field and the academic arena, and heighten visibility in the health care industry,
2. Conduct original translational and trans-disciplinary research by leveraging existing relationships and building upon existing programs adding a well established infrastructure and academic base,
3. Conduct applied research that leads to HIM best practices to improve the quality and effective use of health information, and
4. Disseminate knowledge that will serve as a nidas for innovation and concept development of HI practice and development of policies and standards.
RILI will place a unique and innovative stake in the ground to stimulate applied research and educational programmatic initiatives focused on managing health information and informatics. The Institute will provide for early intelligence such that AHIMA will be proactive and visible in influencing national policy. The integration of evidenced-based research on HIM practice and impact on care processes is fundamental to improving access and quality of care services across the spectrum of care providers and setting.
This innovative Institute will integrate research and programmatic initiatives which are trans-disciplinary in nature and will cut across individual, community, and systems level dimensions of health information management and health informatics research.
Please direct requests for RILI to: Bill Rudman, PhD, RHIA, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 233-1168.