AHIMA Foundation Silent Auction
The AHIMA Foundation Silent Auction takes place each year at the AHIMA Convention and Exhibit. The 2015 auction raised over $18,000, all of which will go directly to the AHIMA Foundation Merit Scholarship Program, expanding educational opportunities to outstanding students pursuing degrees in health information management and health information technology.
Donating an Item to the 2016 Silent Auction
Donations are now being accepted for the 2016 Silent Auction, set to take place October 15-19, 2016 at the AHIMA convention in Baltimore, MD. Donating to the Silent Auction is easy - simply complete and submit the Foundation's online donation reservation form so we have the necessary information about your item and the donor to be recognized, and your spot will be reserved in the auction.
Click here to access the donation reservation form
Donors and state leaders are encouraged to solicit local businesses that they frequent for gift cards or auction items and reduce the out-of-pocket expenses for you or your organization.
When soliciting for auction items, there are several key points to keep in mind:
- Present this solicitation letter to the business manager to assist in identifying yourself and what organization you are soliciting item for and how the donation will support the AHIMA Foundation.
- Try to think of items that are a mix of unique and interesting. People will bid on items that they don't commonly find. The more people bidding on items will result in more funds being raised.
- Follow-up on any contact you make with businesses. If you are told to check back later, be sure to do just that. Following up will help establish a relationship with the business and most likely will result in a donation.
- Contact the AHIMA Foundation if the business requests the Foundation's 501(c)3 tax exempt status.
While your auction donation will help fund the education of future HIM professionals, it will also benefit your organization in the form of recognition and acknowledgement. As a Silent Auction donor you will receive:
- Listing in the 2015 AHIMA convention program, if reservation is made by July 29, 2016.
- Listing on the AHIMA convention website and on the AHIMA Foundation website
- Acknowledgement on the donated item's bid sheet*
*If your organization is exhibiting at convention and you donate an item with a retail value of $300 or more, your organization's booth # will also be included on the item's bid sheet.
In 2015, the AHIMA Foundation Silent Auction had nearly 80 items that were generously donated for bidding, along with several charitable contributions from donors in lieu of auction items.
Click here to see a list of the 2015 Silent Auction Donors
Click here to see a list of 2015 Silent Auction items
Silent Auction Frequently Asked Questions
What should I donate?
Use your imagination! The average donated item's retail value is usually between $150 and $350. Some popular items from previous auctions have included:
- Personal electronics (iPads, Kindles, etc.)
- Designer accessories (purses, wallets, etc.)
- Travel/vacation packages
- Original artwork
- Gourmet wine/food
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, your donation is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. When noting the Fair Market Value of your item on the donation reservation form, please note that the value, regardless of the amount, is used for internal gift reporting only - AHIMA Foundation is unable to include the estimated value on a donor receipt or acknowledgment. It is the responsibility of the donor to substantiate the fair market value for his/her own tax purposes.
If I don't want to purchase and ship an item, can I make a monetary donation to the auction instead?
Yes. Monetary donations of $300 and above will be acknowledged as Silent Auction donations in the convention program (if received by Friday, August 7, 2015), during the auction, and on other convention and Foundation materials. Use the online donation reservation form, and indicate you are making a monetary donation in the Suggested Title field, and state the amount in the Donation Value field. Then you can mail or submit your donation online (visit the Ways to Make a Gift page for more information on how to donate).
How do I ship my item to convention?
The AHIMA Foundation will send you detailed shipping instructions and labels to mail your donated auction items directly to the AHIMA convention late August/early September. The Foundation will send these shipping instructions to the person identified in the Contact section of the auction donation reservation form. There will be a specified timeframe in which you can ship your item to the convention, as well as a special designated address for auction items. Shipping directly to the convention site is not encouraged, as the item has a much higher probability of getting lost.
For other questions related to the auction, please contact Becky Holton at (312) 233-1445 or firstname.lastname@example.org.